The Association of Women in Energy and Extractives in Kenya (AWEIK) in collaboration with Tenistore Enterprise hosted this year’s inaugural Pioneer Women in Extractives Awards- Africa Chapter- 2022.
PWEA is a Pan African platform created to showcase and appreciate the remarkable female talent in Africa’s extractives industry; Mining, Energy and Oil and Gas. The awards were set to celebrate and provide a platform for peer to peer learning for women in Extractives in Africa. The awards ceremony featured key industry players supporting the participation of women in different aspects of the Extractives sector value chain. Amb. (Dr.) Monica Juma, OXON, CBS, Cabinet secretary, Ministry of Energy, presided over the awards ceremony that saw the participation of Artisanal Small scale mining women from Turkana, Taita Taveta and Kwale counties. We received virtual participation from Africa as well.
The Awards theme was ‘ASANTE: An Appreciation for Africa’s Pioneer Women within the Extractives Industry.
28th Jan 2022
The nominees were drawn from over 9 countries from Africa (Kenya leading with most nominees) and with awardees receiving recognition for their work in:
- Africa Extractives Corporate Award- Elizabeth Rogo, Tsavo Oilfield Services
- Africa Extractives Mentor Award- Dr. Melba K. Wasunna, Base Titanium
- Africa Extractives Innovation Award- Audrey Mulama, KECBO
- Africa Extractives Entrepreneur of the year award- Miriam Kamau, Mimo Gem Traders
- Africa Extractives Inclusion and Human Rights Defender Award- Sophie Takuva, AWOME Trust
- Africa Most notable contributions to the Oil and Gas Sector Award- Elsie Mbugua, Leadwood Energy
- Africa most notable contribution to the Artisanal Small scale mining sector Award- Salma Kundi, TAWOMA